Thursday, October 29, 2009

Famous Mac n' Cheese

My favorite food since a very young age has been Mac n' Cheese. Naturally I have been in constant search of the "best" recipe. I am proud to say that for now, I have perfected a favorite.

Becca's Mac n' Cheese



Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grate three kinds of cheese:

4 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar (about 18 oz)
2 cups Smoked Gruyere (about 8 oz)
2 cups Romano (about 8 oz)


I have been using Tillimook Vintage extra sharp white cheddar, Apple Smoked Gruyere, and Stella Romano Cheeses.

Cook up a pound of macaroni noodles, drain and rinse. set aside for later. I personally like to use Rigatoni and Penni, using about a half a lb of each mixed.

White Sauce

4 tbs Butter
4 tbs Flour
1/2 tbs Salt
1 tbs Pepper
2 cups Milk

Mix in pan and bring to a boil. Stir until thick adding a few handfuls of grated cheese.

Now, in a casserole dish layer in this order noodles, sauce, and cheese. Repeat until the dish is full or your out of the three. put lid or tin foil over dish. Cook in oven for 30 to 45 minutes. for the last 5 minutes take lid or foil off to let crisp.

enjoy!

Optional: You can also crumble saltines over the top to give it some crunch. I have also added chicken before and I'm sure that you could add other meats as well.


1 comment:

  1. Where is the 'like' button!
    Thanks love!!!
    Nani

    ReplyDelete